Pages

March 28, 2010

Superhero Workshop

I attended my first writers workshop yesterday, with all those League of Utah Writers. A friend has told me that they sound like a Superhero Club. If that was so, then at best I might be considered a side-kick! So me, the side-kick, paid some annual dues and joined.

It was suggested to me to make up some business cards. Thanks DeNae! (For great entertainment and a good laugh you should check out her blog)I took her advice and made up some business cards the night before I went--Seeing as I'm only a side-kick I printed them up myself. But, I felt so ready, with my spiral notebook stuck inside my purse along with my last-minute-but-way-cool-business-cards as I walked in and took a seat amongst the Superheros of the writing world. I'm sure the Superheros sitting there with their laptops, netbooks and flash drives didn't even notice me yanking my blue spiral notebook out of my purse.

Two people introduced themselves to me and I felt really awesome handing them MY CARD, until one of them told me how he had prepared! He had, in fact, come REALLY prepared. He had brought extra chapters and a full manuscript with him and was able to give his first page to an editor there--WHO--read it and then asked for the rest of his manuscript...I think at that point he ran to a phone booth and opened his shirt, pulled out his manuscript, ran back and calmly handed it to her, and stepped back with his hands on his waist and his cape waving in the wind.

Bottom line...I wish I would have come this prepared! I may never pass the test to become a real Superhero, but, I am determined to learn from them and grateful for all that I was taught yesterday!

----Side-Kick Wendy

No comments: